Friday, January 1, 2010

In a word.....


with avengence, is upon us here in New England.....cold and crisp, resplendent with the day's fresh fallen snow. And yes, as beautiful as it is this time of year, if asked, I'd unabashedly admit that no, in fact, winter is not my favorite season.

I've lived in New England my entire life so I'm certainly accustomed to the snow and frigid temperatures.... but as I grow older I have less of a tolerance to the elements. As a child however, I loved the winter - snow forts, ice skating, sledding and the excited anticipation of awaiting the town's fire whistle (2 toots, pause, 2 toots) to let families know school was called off for the day. On those rare occasions my sisters and I would contentedly stay in our pajamas, hunkered down in the playroom, occupying ourselves for hours with our Barbies all the while sipping hot cocoa with heaping tablespoons of marshmallow fluff. We broke only for lunch - traditionally grilled cheese sandwiches and steaming cups of lipton noodle soup. By days end we begrudgingly donned our snow pants and jackets, hats and mittens (yes, right over our PJ's) and were relegated to the outside to help shovel the snow drifts that ceaselessly piled in the driveway. I loved those days...key word and passed tense (loved). Now, not so much :)

No comments: